Monday, May 29, 2006

Recycled Chair

The brief was to design and construct a chair out of recycled materials. The chair has to be quarter the size of real chair and is able to withstand the weight of quarter human size.
After brainstorming on materials and shapes, I decided to use cardboard because it is
strong, easy to shape and easy to obtain.
First I did a small model to see how the shape would work out. I put a weight on it to test its stability.

Then I cut down the sides to see if it's still as stable standing on four legs.

However, when it comes to making the real size with thick cardboard, it became more challenging as the thickness of the cardboard has to be considered. This shape isn't holding well and wobbly.

Finally I decided on putting 2 legs in front in order to spread the weight distribution.

Photoshop-ed picture of me sitting on the chair.

No comments: